Murgh tikka makhani, Indian spiced chicken
- November 2005
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 4 tbsp Patak’s Tandoori Paste
- 1 tbsp plain natural yogurt
For the sauce
- 4-5 green cardamom pods
- 2 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
- 8 medium tomatoes, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp honey
- 75ml single cream
- Make 2 deep cuts in each drumstick. Mix the tandoori curry paste with the yogurt and spread on the chicken. Leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Cook the drumsticks for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Gently crush the cardamom pods with the back of a teaspoon and put the seeds in a saucepan with the nuts, tomatoes, bay leaves and butter. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes. Purée in a blender until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the ground cardamom, fenugreek leaves, if using, honey and cream. Season to taste and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve hot with garlicky spiced lentils.
Rate & review