Mexican steak and bean salad recipe
- May 2011
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15 min
This super quick salad can be on the table in less than 20 minutes. Perfect if you’re in a hurry, and it’ll also use up those tins of beans you have lurking in the larder. If you prefer, swap the steak out for halloumi, to make it vegetarian.
- 35.6g (7.6g saturated)
- 34g (2.9g sugar)
- 1 medium (250g) sirloin steak
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 410g tin cannellini beans
- 410g tin borlotti beans
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped into chunks
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan or griddle over a high heat. Season the steak and brush with a little olive oil. Fry for 1-2 minutes each side for medium-rare (or longer if you like), then set aside to rest.
- Put the sliced onion in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 2-3 minutes, then drain and refresh with cold water.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Heat in a pan of boiling salted water for
- 1 minute, drain, then put in a bowl. Whisk the lime juice with the garlic, then season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Gradually whisk in the oil, then pour over the beans.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the beans and toss well to combine.
- Slice the steak and add it with any of its juices to the salad, then serve.
Make it veggie: In step 1, swap the steak for 250g halloumi, sliced and fried until golden.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mexican-style bean and chorizo salad
A quick and tasty Mexican-style bean salad recipe made with baby plum tomatoes, chorizo and...
Avocado and cheese quesadillas
Try a taste of Mexico with this luscious snack; the ultimate comfort food.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...