- April 2009
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 min to make, 5 min to cook, plus infusing
It’s really worth picking up some good ham, olives and bread from your local deli to make this quick, tasty starter.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 31.1g (13.3g)
- 22.g (3.1g)
- 16 slices Serrano or Parma ham
- 150g tub mixed olives
For the tomato bread
- 1 loaf crusty sourdough bread or ciabatta
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
For the lemon and oregano halloumi
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 x 250g packs halloumi
- For the tomato bread, heat a griddle pan until hot. Cut the bread into thin slices, brush with a little of the olive oil and griddle for a few minutes each side until charred and golden. Rub the peeled garlic clove over 1 side of the griddled bread and arrange on a serving platter.
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a bowl and toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Spoon over the griddled bread slices and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- For the halloumi, mix the olive oil with the lemon juice and oregano in a bowl and set aside to infuse.
- Slice the halloumi into lengths and place in the hot griddle pan you used to cook the bread. Cook for 1 minute each side, until marked golden with griddle marks, then transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle with the infused olive oil, sprinkle with a little sea salt and plenty of black pepper and serve with the tomato bread, ham and olives.
If you’re vegetarian, omit the meat and replace with artichokes in oil.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...