Orange and pomegranate salad with orange blossom cream
- January 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Donal Skehan’s winter fruit salad recipe is a healthy mix of oranges, pomegranate and pistachios served with a orange blossom and coconut cream.
This recipe makes a beautiful festive starter. Check out more of our vegan Christmas recipes for inspiration.
- 12g fat (6.1g saturated)
- 14.7g (14.7g sugars)
- 4 oranges
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water (see tip)
- 50g shelled (unsalted) pistachios, roughly chopped
For the orange blossom cream
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 125g coconut yogurt (such as CoYo)
- 1 tsp shredded fresh mint (optional)
- To make the orange blossom cream, whisk the 1 tsp orange blossom water into the yogurt, then stir in the fresh mint, if using. Transfer to a bowl, cover with cling film and chill until needed.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a slice from the top and bottom of each orange – thick enough to cut into the flesh of the orange. Stand each orange on one of its flat ends on a chopping board, then carefully cut away the skin and the pith, following the curve of the orange with the blade of the knife. Slice the fruit horizontally into discs, then pour the released juices into a small bowl.
- Arrange the orange slices on a large plate. Cut the pomegranate in half and, holding the cut side of the pomegranate over the oranges, bash with a rolling pin so the seeds tumble out.
- Mix the 2 tbsp orange blossom water (see tip) with the reserved orange juice, then drizzle over the top and scatter over the chopped pistachios. Serve with the bowl of orange blossom cream on the side so your guests can help themselves.
Recipe from Fresh by Donal Skehan.
You can prepare this several hours in advance, cover with cling film and chill, then sprinkle with pistachios just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Avocado, pomegranate and bean salad with hazelnut dressing
A simple side salad recipe for gatherings of friends or...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter