Orange blossom, lemon thyme and almond cake with rosé red berries
- July 2018
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 5 min, cooking time 30 min, simmering time 5 min
A stunning, summery bake that sees a zesty orange and almond sponge slathered in a honey and orange blossom cream, then drizzled in rosé red berry syrup.
- 22.1g (8g saturated)
- 25.3g (15.6g sugars)
- 100ml light olive oil
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- Grated zest and juice 1 orange
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- 100g plain yogurt
- 150g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
For the rosé red berries
- 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- A few lemon thyme sprigs, plus extra to serve
- 100ml rosé wine
- 150g raspberries
For the cream
- 100ml double cream
- 150g crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- ½-1 tsp orange blossom water (depending on strength)
You’ll also need…
- 20cm springform cake tin, base lined and lightly greased
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put the olive oil, sugar, eggs, orange zest and juice, orange blossom water, yogurt, self-raising flour and ground almonds in a large bowl and whisk until just combined. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack in the tin for 5-10 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the rosé red berries. Put the sugar, thyme and rosé wine in a medium pan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes until thickened to a syrup. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Add the berries, stir gently and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the cream, crème fraîche, honey and as much orange blossom water as you think it needs until it forms soft peaks. Put the cake on a plate or cake stand and spoon the cream on top. Add the berries, drizzle with the syrup and scatter with extra thyme leaves.
Make the cake and poach the berries up to 24 hours in advance. Wrap the cake in cling film and the keep berries in an airtight container in the fridge. Bring to room temperature to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Orange and pomegranate salad with orange blossom cream
Donal Skehan’s winter fruit salad recipe is a healthy mix of oranges, pomegranate and pistachios...