Orzo halloumi salad
- December 2021
- Serves 6-8 as part of a buffet
- Hands-on time 30 min
Our orzo, rocket and halloumi salad is full of sunshine flavours. This versatile recipe works in lunchboxes, for picnics, as a summer side or buffet dish.
Check out more easy orzo recipes.
- 12.4g (3.3g saturated)
- 36g (6.6g sugars)
- 300g orzo
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- Large handful flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 80g bag rocket, most roughly chopped, with a few leaves reserved to garnish
- 180g pack Unearthed Slow Roasted Tomatoes (or use any sun-blush tomatoes)
- 100g halloumi, shaved with a Y-shaped peeler
- Sumac for sprinkling
- Cook the orzo according to the pack instructions, then drain and toss in a serving bowl with the extra-virgin oil, pomegranate molasses and lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the 2 tbsp oil over a medium heat and fry the onions until softened, then turn the heat up and fry, stirring, until crispy – about 20 minutes.
- Stir the parsley, rocket and tomatoes into the pasta, then put on a serving platter and top with the halloumi, fried onions, sumac and some black pepper.
Prepare the orzo to the end of step 1 up to a few hours ahead or make the day before, cover and chill. Bring back up to room temperature to serve. The crispy onions can be made up to a day ahead. To assemble, toss the cooked pasta with the parsley, rocket, halloumi and crispy fried onions just before serving so the rocket doesn’t wilt too much.
Sumac is a dried ground berry popular in the Med and Middle East. It has a tart, lemony taste.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Budget pasta recipes
Easy orzo pasta with oregano, feta and tomato sauce
Make a change to your midweek bowl of pasta and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter