Orzo with broad beans, basil and feta
- June 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min
This is the perfect summer pasta salad: vibrant and fresh. The orzo pasta is dressed with an addictive (but easy to make) lemony yogurt and a medley of seasonal greens. To finish, it’s tossed with basil, lemon, feta and baby spinach.
Prefer your orzo pasta served warm? Try our easy orzo, tomato and feta recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 22.7g (9.7g saturated)
- 38.9g (5.1g sugars)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 300g greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 250g orzo pasta
- 150g asparagus, finely sliced
- 300g fresh or frozen peas and broad beans
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- Handful fresh basil
- 200g feta cheese
- 1 tsp dried sumac
- Put a large pan of salted water on to boil. Put the garlic in a blender or mini food processor with the greek yogurt, 4 tbsp oil, lemon zest and salt and pepper, then whizz until smooth (or crush the garlic and beat into the yogurt with the oil and zest). Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook according to the pack instructions. Add the asparagus and peas/broad beans to the pasta pan minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Scoop out a mugful of pasta water and keep to hand, then drain the pasta and veg in a colander. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes, then add to the bowl with the yogurt. Toss everything well, slowly stirring in a little of the pasta water to loosen the mixture. As the pasta cools it will absorb the dressing – it should be lovely and silky. Keep stirring and adding more water every few minutes until the water is all used up and the pasta has cooled.
- Once completely cool, tear in the baby spinach and basil leaves then squeeze in a little lemon juice to taste. Drizzle in a splash of extra-virgin olive oil, then toss everything together well. Taste again and adjust the seasoning. Crumble over the feta just before serving and sprinkle with sumac.
Time to open a fine bottle of premium soave or verdicchio from Italy – either would sing with the feta and basil.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Budget pasta recipes
Easy orzo pasta with oregano, feta and tomato sauce
Make a change to your midweek bowl of pasta and use tiny rice-sized orzo to...