Steamed brown trout with vegetables poached in white wine
- June 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering 10 min, plus resting
Chef Adam Byatt shares a beautiful trout recipe poached in white wine with dill, star anise and coriander seeds.
- 6.4g (0.1g saturated)
- 6.5g (5.6g sugars)
- 1 onion
- 1 large leek
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 large carrot or 8 baby carrots
- 4 x 150g brown trout fillets, skin-on (see tips)
- 200ml dry white wine
- Sea salt
- 1 bunch fresh dill, roughly torn
- 1 star anise
- 10 coriander seeds
- 4 lemon slices and finely grated zest to serve
- Trim the vegetables, then cut into 2mm thick slices, cutting the onion and leek straight down (strip a few layers off the leek first), the carrot(s) at an angle and the fennel lengthways.
- Lay the vegetables in a shallow casserole or wide frying pan. Top with the fish fillets, skin-side up, leaving space between each fillet.
- Pour in the wine, then season with lots of sea salt, the dill and the spices. Pour in 250ml water and put a lid of baking paper, cut to size, on top.
- Put the pan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, then remove from the heat immediately and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Divide the vegetables among 4 plates, top with the trout fillets, skin-side down, then spoon over some of the juices and dill sprigs from the pan. Add a slice of lemon and some lemon zest to each plate, then serve with homemade salad cream.
If you can’t get hold of brown trout, use rainbow trout instead.
The broth is great, so if you have any left over, keep it for soups or fish pies. When cool, keep it in a sterilised container for up to a week in the fridge, or freeze for 3 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas salad recipes
Poached trout, beetroot and new potato salad with horseradish
This seasonal dish of beetroot and trout makes a fantastic starter or main course. A...
Pan-fried sea trout with watercress, pea shoots and mint sauce
Pink sea trout and vibrant spring greens make this quick and easy fish recipe look...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...