Parsnip and bacon tartiflette
- November 2012
- Serves 4-6
- Hands on time 15 mins, plus 25 mins cooking time
This twist on the classic French tartiflette recipe has earthy parsnips taking centre stage over the traditional potato.
- 45.6g (25.3g saturated)
- 23.8g (11.1g sugars)
BASED ON 6
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, crushed to a paste with a little salt
- 1kg medium-size parsnips, peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g streaky bacon lardons
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 100ml dry white wine
- 120g crème fraîche, plus 4 tbsp extra
- 225g semi-soft cheese, ideally French reblochon or Italian fontina, thinly sliced through the rind
- 75g comté cheese, coarsely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Lightly grease a 2 litre shallow ovenproof dish with a little of the butter, then smear over a tiny bit of the crushed garlic.
- Cut the parsnips across at a slight angle (to give longer pieces) into 5mm thick slices. Add to a pan of boiling salted water, bring back to the boil, then cook for 4-5 minutes. Drain and leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Fry the bacon until lightly golden, then remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. Add the remaining butter to the pan with the onions and fry for 6-7 minutes, stirring, until golden brown. Add the rest of the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the wine and bubble gently until reduced by half. Take off the heat and stir in the 120g of crème fraîche. Taste and season.
- Spread one-third of the parsnip slices over the base of the dish and cover with half of the onion mixture. Scatter over half the bacon lardons, grind over a bit of pepper and add half the reblochon/fontina slices. Repeat the layers once more, then finish with a layer of parsnips. Dot with the rest of the crème fraîche, sprinkle over the comté cheese, then bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve straightaway.
This dish is rich, so all it needs is a simple leaf salad on the side, dressed with a mild, mustardy vinaigrette.
Rate & review