Pea and watercress soup
- February 2008
- Serves 6 people
- Ready in 25-30 minutes
Soup is the perfect way to warm up and this healthy pea and watercress soup recipe is lovely on a cold day in spring or autumn. It also makes a great dinner party starter.
- 12.1g (3.7g saturated)
- 24.6g (5.7g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large floury potato, cubed
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 900g frozen peas
- 100g bag watercress
- 70g pack finely sliced pancetta or thin rashers smoked streaky bacon
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the potato and toss with the onion and garlic, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, until the potato is tender.
- Add the frozen peas and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the watercress and stir in until wilted. Remove from the heat, cool for a few minutes then blend with a hand-held blender (or in a food processor, in batches), until smooth. Return to the pan, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and keep warm over a gentle heat.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Grill the pancetta for 2-3 minutes each side, until crisp. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Break up into pieces.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with some pancetta pieces.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Broccoli and watercress soup with crispy chorizo crumbs
This purple sprouting broccoli soup is gorgeous with the addition of spicy crumbled chorizo, and...