Piri piri prawn and vegetable stir-fry
- September 2011
- 2 dried red chillies such as habañero or kashmiri (we used Bart Hot Kashmiri Chillies, from Ocado and Waitrose), deseeded
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 aubergine, cut into chunks
- Handful of mangetout
- Handful of fresh coriander, roughly torn
- 300g raw prawns, shells removed, tails intact
- Heat a large frying pan or wok and dry-fry the chillies for 30 seconds. Put in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 10 minutes, then drain and whizz in a mini blender or spice grinder along with the paprika, garlic, ginger and 2 tbsp of the oil to form a paste. Return to the bowl, season and stir in most of the lemon juice.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan or wok, then add the sweet potato, one-third of the chilli paste and a good splash of water. Cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes. Add the aubergine and cook, stirring, for a further 8 minutes, then add the mangetout and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove to a warm dish and stir through the coriander.
- Put the prawns in the remaining chilli paste and stir to coat. Fry over a high heat for a minute or so until just cooked. Serve with the vegetable stir-fry and another squeeze of lemon juice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Midweek meal recipes
Quick sesame prawn, spring onion and radish stir-fry
Pull out your wok and rustle up this quick and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter