Potato, celeriac and apple gratin
- December 2007
- Serves 8
- Takes 25 minutes to make and 30-35 minutes in the oven
As well as being the perfect side dish with a roast, this celeriac and potato gratin recipe is a satisfying vegetarian main course.
- 23g (14.1g saturated)
- 22.6g (6.8g sugar)
- 750g potatoes, such as Maris Piper
- 500g celeriac
- 300ml double cream
- 300ml milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 Cox’s or Braeburn apples
- 15g butter, plus extra for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Very thinly slice the peeled potatoes using a mandolin, if you have one, or in a food processor. Do the same with the celeriac.
- Put the cream, milk and garlic in a non-stick pan over a medium-low heat. Add the potatoes and celeriac and simmer for 10 minutes, gently stirring, until tender.
- Spoon half the potatoes and celeriac into a greased 1.5-litre ovenproof dish, then season. Quarter, core and thinly slice the unpeeled apples and arrange over the potato. Top with the remaining potatoes and celeriac, season and dot with butter.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden and bubbling
Freeze it at the end of step 3, then defrost thoroughly and finish the recipe.
Rate & review