Potato and parsnip latkes
- November 2019
- Makes 10-12
- Hands-on time 30 min
Chef Alan Rosenthal’s version of latkes – potato pancakes – are so crispy and more-ish that they’ll disappear in seconds. This recipe makes 10-12, making it the perfect savoury snack for a dinner party spread.
Or opt for a Scandinavian take on latkes with these smoked salmon latkes with horseradish cream.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 3g (0.4g saturated)
- 9.5g (1.7g sugars)
- 1 large potato (around 300g), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 parsnip (around 250g), peeled and coarsely grated
- ½ medium onion, halved and coarsely grated
- 30g plain flour
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Soured cream/crème fraîche to serve
- Heat the oven to 140°C/120°C fan/gas 1. Put the grated potato and parsnip in a large mixing bowl, toss together, then immediately mix in the onion (the acidity in the onion will prevent the potato and parsnip going brown). Stir in the flour, salt, eggs and a good grinding of black pepper.
- Fill a wide non-stick frying pan 5mm deep with oil and put over a medium- high heat. Once hot, carefully add heaped dessertspoonfuls of the latke mixture to the pan. Pat each one down gently with the back of the spoon until the latke is 8-9cm wide. Don’t overcrowd the pan – they won’t brown if you do; you’ll probably have to do 2-3 batches (4-5 latkes per batch).
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until golden, then flip with a spatula. Cook for another 4 minutes or until beautifully golden.
- Line a baking tray with kitchen paper. Use your spatula to transfer the cooked latkes to the tray, allowing any excess oil to drain. Keep warm in the oven while you make the rest. Serve with soured cream or crème fraîche.
Make the latkes 1-2 days ahead and keep covered in the fridge. Warm through in a medium oven for 10 minutes until crisp.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoked salmon latkes with Scandinavian horseradish cream
Forget blinis – when it comes to dinner party nibbles, it’s all about these crisp,...
This special latkes recipe from Denise Phillips is perfect for celebrating Hannukah, the annual Jewish...
Potato latkes with smoked salmon and horseradish crème fraîche
Crispy potato pancakes pair perfectly with creamy crème fraîche in this traditional Jewish dish.
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...