- January 2012
- for lots of people
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
This special latkes recipe from Denise Phillips is perfect for celebrating Hannukah, the annual Jewish festival of light.
- 4g (0.6g saturated)
- 12.4g (0.6g sugars)
- 3 large Desiree potatoes (about 700g)
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Apple sauce and soured cream or 3 tbsp caster sugar mixed with 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and the onion. Place in the centre of a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the eggs, flour and baking powder. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Meanwhile, heat enough oil in a shallow frying pan to cover the base by about 1cm.
- When the oil is hot, add spoonful of the potato mixture, pressing down slightly to flatten. Make sure you don’t overcrowd the pan with too many latkes as this will reduce the oil temperature and slow the cooking process. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Continue to fry in batches until all the potato mixture has been used.
- Serve with apple sauce and soured cream or with a pinch of cinnamon sugar.
Rate & review