Pumpkin and brussels sprouts pasta bake
- November 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 30 min
A vegetarian pasta bake that is bound to satisfy whoever is at the table, have a go at this pumpkin, brussels sprout, cannellini and sage bake for a warming midweek meal (note: second helpings are likely).
Looking for more tasty vegetarian pasta recipes? We’ve done the hard work for you.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 10.7g (5.1g saturated)
- 54.4g (4.4g sugars)
- 600g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 350g penne pasta
- ½ x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 150g mixed cheddar and mozzarella (we used ready-grated)
- 300ml good quality vegetable stock
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- 200g brussels sprouts, halved or shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small handful fresh sage leaves, finely sliced
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the pumpkin in a roasting tin with 1 tsp of the olive oil, season well, then roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pan of boiling water as in the pack instructions. Drain, reserving 100ml of the pasta cooking water. Return the pasta to the pan, stir in a drizzle of oil, then set aside.
- Set the grill to medium. Mash the roasted pumpkin with the cannellini beans, then stir in 100g of the cheese, the reserved cooking water and the stock. Stir the mixture into the pasta, adding a splash more stock or water to loosen, if needed. Spoon all the mixture into a medium baking dish.
Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and a little oil, then sprinkle over the pasta and grill for 5 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Heat the remaining 1 tsp oil in a heavy-based frying pan and stir-fry the brussels sprouts for 2-3 minutes until beginning to char. Add the garlic and sage, then fry for 1 minute more. Spoon the veg over the hot pasta to serve.
Rate & review