Quick charred spring onion and sweet potato salad
- April 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Charred sweet potatoes are flavoured with za’tar and combined with spring onions, lamb’s lettuce and feta to make a salad that’s hearty enough for midweek dinner.
This would make a lovely side dish as part of an Easter lunch spread.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.7g (4.9g saturated)
- 60g (19.6g sugars)
- 1kg sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1½ tbsp za’atar (or, if you can’t find za’atar, an equal mixture of dried thyme and sesame seeds)
- 250g spring onions, trimmed and cut in half
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1½ tbsp cider vinegar
- 150g lamb’s lettuce
- 60g feta, crumbled
- 60g pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan
- Put the whole sweet potatoes in a large pan of salted boiling water and cook for about 20 minutes until tender but still firm. Drain, slice into 1cm discs and put in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil and the 1 tbsp za’atar. Turn gently to coat.
- Put a griddle pan over a high heat until smoking. Brush the spring onions with olive oil, then griddle for 1-2 minutes on each side until soft and marked with char lines. Set aside in a large salad bowl.
- Put the cooked sweet potato slices in the griddle pan and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until char lines appear (you might need to do this in batches). Add the charred sweet potatoes to the bowl with the spring onions.
- To make the dressing, mix 2 tbsp olive oil with the garlic, cider vinegar and ½ tbsp za’atar. Add the lamb’s lettuce, feta and toasted pumpkin seeds to the griddled veg, then toss together with the dressing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Asparagus, sweet potato and feta fritters
This vegetarian fritter recipe, made with asparagus and sweet potato, is packed full of flavour....
Caramel soy roasted vegetables
Butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes and aubergines are roasted together in a sticky caramel...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...