Quick charred spring onion and sweet potato salad
- April 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Charred sweet potatoes are flavoured with za’tar and combined with spring onions, lamb’s lettuce and feta to make a salad that’s hearty enough for midweek dinner.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.7g (4.9g saturated)
- 60g (19.6g sugars)
- 1kg sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1½ tbsp za’atar (or, if you can’t find za’atar, an equal mixture of dried thyme and sesame seeds)
- 250g spring onions, trimmed and cut in half
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1½ tbsp cider vinegar
- 150g lamb’s lettuce
- 60g feta, crumbled
- 60g pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan
- Put the whole sweet potatoes in a large pan of salted boiling water and cook for about 20 minutes until tender but still firm. Drain, slice into 1cm discs and put in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil and the 1 tbsp za’atar. Turn gently to coat.
- Put a griddle pan over a high heat until smoking. Brush the spring onions with olive oil, then griddle for 1-2 minutes on each side until soft and marked with char lines. Set aside in a large salad bowl.
- Put the cooked sweet potato slices in the griddle pan and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until char lines appear (you might need to do this in batches). Add the charred sweet potatoes to the bowl with the spring onions.
- To make the dressing, mix 2 tbsp olive oil with the garlic, cider vinegar and ½ tbsp za’atar. Add the lamb’s lettuce, feta and toasted pumpkin seeds to the griddled veg, then toss together with the dressing.
Rate & review