Quinoa risotto with pumpkin and spinach
- March 2015
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 40 min
Try our gluten-free risotto recipe made with butternut squash, quinoa and lots of fresh herbs.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 11.9g (1.4g saturated)
- 53.2g (15.8g sugars)
For 3 servings
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 2-3 tbsp cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 750ml hot vegetable stock or water
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as rosemary, oregano and thyme
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 150g baby spinach
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the squash in a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile make the risotto. Heat the olive oil in a large, wide saucepan over a low-medium heat, then fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent, stirring often.
- Clear one side of the pan and add the quinoa. Stir the quinoa in its half of the pan for 1 minute or until slightly crisp, then stir to combine with the onion and garlic.
- Increase the heat and add the hot vegetable stock or water 1 ladleful at a time, stirring constantly, letting the quinoa mixture absorb each ladleful before adding the next (this should take around 10 minutes).
- Add the chopped tomatoes, herbs, sea salt, lemon zest, 2 tbsp lemon juice and cider vinegar to the risotto. Cook for a further 10 minutes or until the quinoa is tender but still slightly al dente.
- Stir through the spinach and roasted pumpkin, then cook for 5 minutes more. Taste and season with salt, black pepper and extra lemon juice, if required, then serve.
Rate & review