Easy mushroom and kale basmati pilaf
- december 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 min, oven time 40 min
A vegetarian, gluten-free recipe that’s perfect for when you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen. The mushrooms, kale and parmesan give the dish a hearty kick.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.5g (2g saturated)
- 38.7g (3.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra glug
- 4 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Juice 1 lemon, plus extra to serve
- 200g kale, shredded
- 2 x 250g packs cooked basmati rice (we like Tilda)
- Large handful fresh basil, leaves torn
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Grated parmesan-style vegetarian cheese to serve
- Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, turning once, or until golden, then remove and set aside. Reduce the heat, add a glug of oil and the onion, then cook for 8 minutes or until soft, squeezing in the juice of 1 lemon after 5 minutes.
- Pour a kettle of boiling water over the kale in a colander and allow to drain dry. Turn the heat back up and add the rice to the pan with the kale and reserved mushrooms, then cook for 3-4 minutes until combined. Season well with salt and pepper, adding the basil and a bit more lemon juice, salt, pepper and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Serve with lots of grated cheese.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Best of British recipes
Cheat’s bubble and squeak cakes with smoked haddock and eggs
This easy recipe livens up an ordinary pack of bubble and squeak with the smoky...
Possibly the quickest, easiest chocolate mousse recipe you’ll ever make. There are many hazelnut spreads...