Easy mushroom and kale basmati pilaf
- december 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 min, oven time 40 min
A vegetarian, gluten-free recipe that’s perfect for when you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen. The mushrooms, kale and parmesan give the dish a hearty kick.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.5g (2g saturated)
- 38.7g (3.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra glug
- 4 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Juice 1 lemon, plus extra to serve
- 200g kale, shredded
- 2 x 250g packs cooked basmati rice (we like Tilda)
- Large handful fresh basil, leaves torn
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Grated parmesan-style vegetarian cheese to serve
- Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, turning once, or until golden, then remove and set aside. Reduce the heat, add a glug of oil and the onion, then cook for 8 minutes or until soft, squeezing in the juice of 1 lemon after 5 minutes.
- Pour a kettle of boiling water over the kale in a colander and allow to drain dry. Turn the heat back up and add the rice to the pan with the kale and reserved mushrooms, then cook for 3-4 minutes until combined. Season well with salt and pepper, adding the basil and a bit more lemon juice, salt, pepper and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Serve with lots of grated cheese.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spiced mango chicken with tomato and spring onion salad
A quick and easy chicken recipe with an Indian mango chutney.