Red wine chicken with peppers and olives
- December 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in 1 hour
This chicken recipe is perfect for freezing; it requires little prep and can just be popped into the oven for a quick midweek dinner.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 19.2g (4.3g saturated)
- 17.4g (9.8g sugar)
- 1 large chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 70g pancetta or smoked streaky bacon, cut into cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 each red and yellow peppers, halved, deseeded, sliced into strips
- 300ml red wine
- Leaves of 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- Leaves of 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 100g mixed green and black olives
- Large bunch of flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Put the chicken in a large bowl and toss with the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole and place the chicken pieces, skin-side down, in 1 layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the skin is golden. Turn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add the pancetta or bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Stir in the garlic, red onion, peppers and any remaining seasoned flour, toss together well and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and simmer rapidly for a few minutes. Turn down the heat and return the chicken and the juices to the pan.
- Add the rosemary and thyme and season to taste. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is reduced. Stir in the olives and parsley and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Cool completely, then freeze (see tip), or serve immediately with sautéed rosemary potatoes.
Freeze it for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly at room temperature, then transfer to a roasting tin and cover with foil. Reheat at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 for 30 minutes, until piping hot. Uncover for the final 5 minutes of cooking.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...