Rice salad with smoked peppered mackerel
- August 2009
- Serves 6-8 as part of a buffet
- Takes 5 min to make and 20 min to cook
This substantial yet healthy dish is scented with Indian spices. It makes a great alternative to a traditional rice salad if you’re planning on catering for a party or buffet.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 14g (3g saturated)
- 40.2g (4.4g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ tbsp garam masala
- 500g mixed wild and basmati rice
- 50g raisins
- 1 litre vegetable stock, hot
- 100g cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 250g smoked peppered mackerel, flaked into pieces
- Grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- Large bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened. Stir in the turmeric and garam masala and cook for a minute, then add the rice and raisins and toss well.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is cooked and tender. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Stir the cashew nuts through the rice along with the flaked mackerel, zest and juice of the lemon and the chopped parsley. Check the seasoning before serving.
Once the salad is fully assembled, cool in the fridge, then freeze in sealed containers for up to a month. Defrost fully in the fridge before serving at room temperature.
Rate & review