Chilli, broccoli and mozzarella pies
- December 2023
- Serves 2 (or 4 with sides)
- Hands-on time 20 min. Oven time 25 min
Get a midweek pie fix with this easy recipe. A golden puff pastry lid tops a rich filling of broccoli, chilli and anchovy in a double-cheese sauce. The anchovy adds rich flavour, but leave them out to make these pies vegetarian.
For comfort food at its finest, try this cheddar and potato pie
- 38g (22g saturated)
- 39g (7.1g sugars)
- 350g broccoli (1 medium head)
- Dash oil
- 2 anchovy fillets, drained (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 40g unsalted butter
- 40g plain flour
- 400g whole milk, warmed
- 50g parmesan (or veggie equivalent), finely grated
- 75g mozzarella, coarsely grated or finely chopped
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 320g sheet puff pastry
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
You’ll also need
- 2 x 500ml pie dishes
- Finely chop the broccoli stalk and cut the florets into small pieces (around 2cm). Set a frying pan over a medium heat, add a dash of oil, the anchovies (if using), broccoli stalk, garlic and chilli flakes, and fry for about 5 minutes. Add the florets with a dash of water, cover and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a separate saucepan, tip in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the warm milk until you have a smooth sauce. Beat in the parmesan and mozzarella, taste and season with salt and pepper, then stir in the broccoli mixture and spinach and divide between two pie dishes.
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6. Cut the pastry in half and lay over the dishes, then crimp the edges with a fork and trim off any excess pastry. Brush with beaten egg to glaze, then bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed up and golden. Serve with mash or chips and veg (if you like).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter