Roasted tomato salad with feta, pearl barley and herbs
- September 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 min, oven time 30 min
A wholesome salad recipe full of summery flavours and bursts of juicy tomato in every bite.
- 20.7g (5.9g saturated)
- 72.2g (10.1g sugars)
- 400g ripe cherry tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 glugs extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp icing sugar
- 50g blanched almonds
- 300g pearl barley
- 125g feta, crumbled
- 2 handfuls fresh mixed herbs (such as basil, mint, chives)
- Juice 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Halve the tomatoes. Cut the onions into wedges, keeping the root ends intact. Space out the tomatoes, onions and garlic in a large baking tray. Drizzle over a little olive oil and sift over the icing sugar. Season, then roast for 25-30 minutes until the onions are lightly caramelised and the tomatoes are shrivelled. After 15-20 minutes, scatter over the almonds and continue to cook.
- Meanwhile, simmer the pearl barley in boiling salted water for 20-25 minutes until tender with a little bite. Drain and stir through a glug of olive oil, then check the seasoning.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked veg and any juices through the barley (squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins). Stir through the feta, herbs and lemon juice, then taste, season and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer salads and sides
Roasted tomato, giant couscous, feta and basil salad
A simple salad recipe that brings into play the classic winning combination of tomato and...