- September 2021
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 15 min
Stir up the flavours of southern Italy in this easy sardine linguine recipe. Add saffron, raisins and pangrattato for a quick midweek supper.
Sardines are a good source of heart-healthy omega-3s. Find more delicious ways to work them into your dinner repertoire in our sardine recipes collection.
- 11.2g (2g saturated)
- 66g (18.2g sugars)
- 140g sustainable tinned sardines, plus 1 tbsp oil and an extra splash from the tin for the pasta
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 60g raisins, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes to soften
- 200g linguine
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- A few saffron threads (optional)
- Small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp oil (from the sardines) over a low-medium heat and cook the onion and fennel seeds for 10 minutes or until turning golden and sticky. Add the raisins and season, then cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine according to the pack instructions until al dente (still with some bite). Drain, reserving 100ml pasta water, then toss the pasta with a splash of the sardine oil.
- Add the pasta to the onion mixture with most of the reserved pasta water, then stir/toss to combine. Increase the heat and stir in the sardines, lemon juice and saffron (if using), plus more salt and pepper to season. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, tossing the pasta gently until it is coated in a light sauce. Add a splash more pasta water to loosen, if needed. Toss in most of the parsley and the lemon zest.
- Serve the pasta scattered with the remaining parsley and zest and, if you like, pangrattato (see tips).
Flavour boost: Make a pangrattato: gently fry 50g pine nuts, 50g fresh breadcrumbs and 1 crushed garlic clove in a non-stick frying pan with a splash of olive oil until crisp, then sprinkle over the pasta to serve.
Adding saffron will create a dish that’s more typically southern Italian, but it still tastes great without it.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter