Sardine fishcakes with chilli corn salsa
- October 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 25 min.
These sardine fishcakes make a flavour-packed dinner that’s full of Omega-3s and vitamin D. The fresh corn salsa served alongside brings sweetness and crunch.
If fishcakes are too much of a faff for you tonight, try our Sicilian inspired sardine spaghetti instead.
- 31g (5.1g saturated)
- 39.8g (7.2g sugars)
- 500g floury potatoes (such as maris piper or king edward), peeled and quartered
- 2 x 120g tins sardines in tomato sauce, drained (see Tips)
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 50g panko or other dried breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
For the chilli corn salsa
- 198g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 225g vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli (seeds removed), finely chopped
- Large handful fresh basil, finely chopped, with some leaves left whole to serve
- Put the potatoes in a steamer set over a pan of boiling water and steam for about 15 minutes until cooked through. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly before mashing with a fork in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the drained sardines into the potatoes along with the spring onions, lemon zest and juice, then season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide into 12 balls and flatten each into a patty about 3cm thick.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/ gas 7. Beat the egg in a bowl, then spread the breadcrumbs on a large plate. Dip each patty into the egg, then the breadcrumbs to coat and set on a lined baking tray. Drizzle the sunflower oil over the fishcakes, then bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mix all the salsa ingredients together and season well. Serve the fishcakes with the salsa, basil leaves and lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Sardines are sustainable, full of flavour and packed with a good dose of omega-3s. If you still can’t convince picky eaters, swap the tinned fish for roasted veg and some grated cheddar.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
June seasonal recipes
Sardines on toast with sorrel and horseradish alioli
Elevate sardines on toast with citrussey sorrel and a punchy horseradish aioli in this summery...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...