- July 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Struggling to make it to payday? These simple sardine fishcakes only cost £1.06 per head. That’s less than a fiver for the whole meal. Serve with a crisp green salad and fresh lemon wedges for the ultimate easy dinner.
Check out the rest of our fishcake recipes too for salmon, haddock and prawn versions.
- 14.8g (2.6g saturated)
- 33.2g (2.5g sugars)
- 450g maris piper potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 x 120g tins sardines in oil, drained
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Handful fresh dill, chopped
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 50g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 x 60g bags baby leaf salad to serve
- Put the potatoes in a pan of salted cold water. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain well, leave to steam dry in the pan, then mash coarsely using a potato masher or the back of a fork.
- Put the sardines in a bowl, mash lightly with a fork, then add the spring onions, egg, dijon mustard, dill, lemon zest, cayenne pepper and 50g plain flour. Mix until combined, add the mashed potato, season generously with salt and black pepper, then mix again.
- With lightly floured hands, shape the mixture into 8 even patties. Put each one on a plate as you work, then loosely cover and chill for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan then fry half the fishcakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and piping hot. Put on a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and fishcakes. Serve with salad and lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...