Sausage, chorizo and sherry casserole
- December 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 40 min
This weeknight winner, sausage chorizo and sherry casserole, uses Spanish ingredients – chorizo, padrón peppers, and more than a nip of sherry – to make a casserole with class.
Alternatively, use chorizo in this quick, one-pot stew.
- 24.2g fat (8.4g saturated)
- 25.4g protein
- 8.9g carbs (6.1g sugars)
- 2.7g fibre
- 2.1g salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 good-quality British outdoorreared pork sausages
- 4 cooking chorizo sausages
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 150g pack padrón peppers
- 125ml dry sherry (we used fino)
- 2 tbsp membrillo (quince paste) or honey
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread, potatoes or pasta to serve
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Heat the oil in a large shallow hob-safe casserole over a medium-high heat, add the sausages and chorizo and fry, turning, to brown all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, garlic and peppers to the oil left in the casserole, then fry over a medium heat for 8 minutes until softening and lightly golden.
- Add the sherry to the casserole, let it bubble for a couple of minutes, then stir in the membrillo/honey, tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, half the parsley and the sausages and horizo. Bring to a fast simmer, then cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for 10 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves, then taste and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the remaining parsley, then serve with your choice of carb.
Easy swaps: If you’re not keen on chorizo, add a second pack of pork sausages and replace the padrón peppers with a sliced sweet red or yellow pepper.
Make the casserole up to 2 days ahead. Cool, then cover and chill.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cumberland sausage ring with scorched tomato relish
No meat-eater can resist Cumberland sausages, especially with a barbecued tomato sauce.
Cumberland sausage with hot potato salad
Debbie Major’s Cumberland sausage with hot potato salad is simple yet full of flavour with...
Best sausage casserole recipes
Looking for hearty warming comfort food? These sausage...
Stews, casseroles, pot-roasts and slow-roasts
Find a selection of hearty stews, casseroles, pot-roasts...
Recipes with chorizo
These chorizo recipes make the spicy Spanish sausage...
Midweek meal recipes
Worked late? Need something not too challenging? Our...