Sausage, chorizo and sherry casserole
- December 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 40 min
Casseroles are a reliable favourite and this one is a weeknight winner with a twist. It uses Spanish ingredients – chorizo, padrón peppers, and more than a nip of sherry – to make a casserole with class.
Alternatively, use chorizo in this quick, one-pot stew.
- 24.2g fat (8.4g saturated)
- 25.4g protein
- 8.9g carbs (6.1g sugars)
- 2.7g fibre
- 2.1g salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 good-quality British outdoor-reared pork sausages
- 4 cooking chorizo sausages
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 150g pack padrón peppers
- 125ml dry sherry (we used fino)
- 2 tbsp membrillo (quince paste) or honey
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread, potatoes or pasta to serve
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Heat the oil in a large shallow hob-safe casserole over a medium-high heat, add the sausages and chorizo and fry, turning, to brown all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, garlic and peppers to the oil left in the casserole, then fry over a medium heat for 8 minutes until softening and lightly golden.
- Add the sherry to the casserole, let it bubble for a couple of minutes, then stir in the membrillo/honey, tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, half the parsley and the sausages and chorizo. Bring to a fast simmer, then cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for 10 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves, then taste and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the remaining parsley, then serve with your choice of carb.
Easy swaps: If you’re not keen on chorizo, add a second pack of pork sausages and replace the padrón peppers with a sliced sweet red or yellow pepper.
Make the casserole up to 2 days ahead. Cool, then cover and chill.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter