Savoy cabbage with oatmeal
- January 2015
- Serves 6 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 20 minutes
Buttery braised savoy cabbage is served up with a slightly Scottish twist – oatmeal. Serve as a side dish to your Burns Night supper – it would work well with rack of venison.
- 5.7g (1.8g saturated)
- 7.5g (3.5g sugars)
- Large knob of butter
- Splash olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- ⅓ leek, finely chopped
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tbsp pinhead oatmeal, toasted on a baking sheet in a warm oven until fragrant
- Black and white sesame seeds to sprinkle (optional)
- Put the butter and olive oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat and melt the butter. Add the carrot, shallot, celery, leek, thyme and garlic, then cook for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the cabbage with a splash of water so it steams. After 4-5 minutes, stir through the oatmeal. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper, then add the sesame seeds, if using.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Kohlrabi, savoy cabbage and lamb bake
This delicious winter bake combines the crunch of kohlrabi with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter