Slow cooker lamb stew with potatoes
- October 2021
- Serves 8 (or 2 meals for 4)
- Hands-on time 10 min
Dinner doesn’t get any simpler than this: for 10 minutes effort you get a meltingly tender slow cooker lamb stew in a lightly-spiced sauce. This recipe is great for batch cooking.
Let the slow cooker do the hard work with our collection of delicious slow cooker recipes.
- 12.2g (5.2g saturated)
- 20.1g (6g sugars)
- 1.2 kg lamb shoulder, diced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 750g small potatoes such as charlotte, halved if large
- Chopped flatleaf parsley, dill, lemon zest to serve
You’ll also need…
- Slow cooker
- Put the lamb in a slow cooker with the remaining ingredients, 100ml water and salt and black pepper, then cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can get the same results using a lidded casserole. Wet a disc of compostable baking paper the same size as the casserole. Scrunch it up, then place it onto the stew. Put the lid on and cook at 130ºC fan/gas 2 for 4 hours.
- Serve with the herbs, bread or veg. Or, to batch cook ahead, cool the stew, then portion in labelled airtight containers and freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then reheat in a medium oven or in a pan until piping hot throughout.
Easy swaps: Turn the stew into a tagine. When you cook the lamb, swap the spices for a shop-bought tagine paste and swap the potatoes for root vegetables and dried apricots. Serve with couscous.
Use the stew as the filling in a puffed lamb pie. Thicken the sauce by simmering with 1-2 tsp cornflour mixed with water, then pour into a pie dish, top with ready-rolled puff pastry and bake at 180ºC fan/gas 6 for 25-30 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Batch cooking recipes
Southern style slow cooker beef chilli with cornbread topping
Stick a batch of richly flavoured beef chilli in the...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter