Slow cooker lamb stew with potatoes
- October 2021
- Serves 8 (or 2 meals for 4)
- Hands-on time 10 min
Dinner doesn’t get any simpler than this: for 10 minutes effort you get a meltingly tender slow cooker lamb stew in a lightly-spiced sauce. This recipe is great for batch cooking.
Let the slow cooker do the hard work with our collection of delicious slow cooker recipes.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 12.2g (5.2g saturated)
- 20.1g (6g sugars)
- 1.2 kg lamb shoulder, diced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 750g small potatoes such as charlotte, halved if large
- Chopped flatleaf parsley, dill, lemon zest to serve
You’ll also need…
- Slow cooker
- Put the lamb in a slow cooker with the remaining ingredients, 100ml water and salt and black pepper, then cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can get the same results using a lidded casserole. Wet a disc of compostable baking paper the same size as the casserole. Scrunch it up, then place it onto the stew. Put the lid on and cook at 130ºC fan/gas 2 for 4 hours.
- Serve with the herbs, bread or veg. Or, to batch cook ahead, cool the stew, then portion in labelled airtight containers and freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then reheat in a medium oven or in a pan until piping hot throughout.
Easy swaps: Turn the stew into a tagine. When you cook the lamb, swap the spices for a shop-bought tagine paste and swap the potatoes for root vegetables and dried apricots. Serve with couscous.
Use the stew as the filling in a puffed lamb pie. Thicken the sauce by simmering with 1-2 tsp cornflour mixed with water, then pour into a pie dish, top with ready-rolled puff pastry and bake at 180ºC fan/gas 6 for 25-30 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Moroccan red lentil and lamb stew
This pressure cooker stew recipe can also be made using a conventional oven. A wonderfully...
Batch cooking recipes
Southern style slow cooker beef chilli with cornbread topping
Stick a batch of richly flavoured beef chilli in the slow cooker and this gloriously...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...