Smoky aubergine and tahini pasta with feta
- June 2023
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min. Oven time 15-20 min
Aubergines collapse into a juicy pile of smoky flavour when cooked directly on a heat source, making a rich sauce with very little else needed. We’ve added a drizzle of creamy tahini and a crumble of salty feta for contrast.
Make the most of eggplant season with more delicious aubergine recipes.
- 26g (7.1g saturated)
- 34g (9.8g sugars)
- 2 large aubergines
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 40g tahini
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp ice-cold water
- 150g dried pasta (we used rigatoni)
- Parsley or oregano leaves to serve
- 60g feta, crumbled
- Pierce the aubergines with a fork. Put the whole aubergines directly on the embers of a barbecue, under a very hot grill or use tongs to hold directly (and carefully) over the flame of a gas hob. Let them scorch all over, turning occasionally, until the skin is charred and the flesh is extremely soft and on the verge of completely collapsing. Set aside to cool a little.
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat, add the chilli and blister on all sides (a few minutes). Remove from the pan. Add the oil to the pan, reduce the heat a little then, once hot, add the shallot. Cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until tender. Stir in the garlic and tomato purée and cook for another minute. Add the cherry tomatoes. Cook, stirring regularly for 5-6 minutes, until collapsing. Chop the chilli and return this to the pan.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente according to the pack instructions. Reserve a mug of the cooking water before draining.
- Once the aubergine is cool enough to handle, peel and discard the skin. Roughly chop the flesh and add it to the pan of tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes to make a rich sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tahini and lemon juice, plus the ice-cold water to make a drizzle-able sauce.
- Tip the drained pasta into the pan of sauce along with a good glug of the reserved pasta water and stir until well coated.
- To serve, divide between plates, drizzle over the tahini sauce and scatter over the herbs and feta.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter