Smoky chicken wraps
- June 2010
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 min to make, 20 min to cook, plus cooling and defrosting
This chicken recipe is ideal for freezing; just make and freeze the sauce then defrost to make fabulous wraps that are perfect for a picnic or lunch.
- 39.7g (19.1g saturated)
- 75.9g (9.1g sugar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 120g raw cooking chorizo, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 plump garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 630g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper and 1 yellow pepper, diced
- Juice of ½ lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- 3 large free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 1 litre vegetable stock, hot
- 12 flour tortilla wraps
- Soured cream, diced avocado and grated Cheddar, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat, add the chorizo and fry until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, turn the temperature to low, add the onion and garlic and soften for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat, stir in the spices and cook for 2 minutes more. Pour in the tinned chopped tomato, then add the diced pepper and crisp chorizo. Season, bring to a simmer, then bubble for 5 minutes until thickened. Add the lime juice.
- Meanwhile, put the chicken in a large saucepan. Pour over the stock and bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 12-15 minutes until cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard the stock. Once it is cool enough, shred the chicken using your hands and stir it through the smoky tomato sauce. Leave to cool completely.
- Spoon the smoky chicken sauce into sealable plastic containers and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Defrost thoroughly. Leave cold, or heat until piping hot, then spoon over the flour wraps, with the spiced rice. Top with soured cream, avocado and grated Cheddar, wrap and serve.
The smoky chicken sauce also makes a great filling for enchiladas. Fill flour tortilla wraps with half of the sauce and some spiced rice. Layer in a large ovenproof dish, spoon over the remaining sauce and top generously with soured cream and grated Cheddar. Warm through in the oven.
Rate & review