Sorrel soup with cream cheese toasts
- April 2012
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes ?to cook
Grown some sorrel? The gorgeous vivid green of this sorrel soup recipe is matched by its wonderfully fresh flavour; it’s a lovely start to a spring dinner party – and will show off your gardening skills to full effect.
- 24.3g (12.8g saturated)
- 19.6g (2.4g sugars)
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, finely cubed
- 1.8 litres fresh chicken or vegetable stock, hot
- 500g mixed fresh sorrel and spinach leaves, any tough stems removed and finely sliced
- 2 little gem lettuces, finely shredded
- Bunch of fresh chervil
- Splash of double cream
For the toasts
- 8 small sourdough slices, cut in half if large, or 8 baguette slices
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 200g cream cheese
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Melt the butter in a large pan and gently fry the onion and potato for 5 minutes until the onion is softened. Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the toasts, toast the bread until golden, then gently rub one side of each slice with the garlic. Spread with the cheese, drizzle with the oil and grind over some black pepper, then set aside.
- Add the sorrel, spinach and lettuces to the pan, then add the chervil and season. Blend until smooth with a hand blender, then stir in most of the cream, swirl the rest on top and serve with the toasts.
Sorrel is a tasty leaf with a sharp, lemony tang. Some greengrocers and supermarkets stock it in season but if you can’t find it you can use all spinach instead – just add a good squeeze of lemon juice with the cream.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
June seasonal recipes
Sardines on toast with sorrel and horseradish alioli
Elevate sardines on toast with citrussey sorrel and a punchy horseradish aioli in this summery...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...