- February 2022
- Serves 1 (makes 2)
- Hands-on time 15 min
Like a traditional soufflé, these sky-high pancakes rely mostly on the airy power of whisked egg white to make them puff. If you’re making them for more than one person you’ll need multiple pans, as they’re best eaten straightaway.
Once you’ve perfected these pancakes, why not try your hand at a classic cheese soufflé?
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.4g (2.5g saturated)
- 84.9g (38.7g sugars)
- 1 medium free-range egg, separated, plus 1 extra egg white
- 2½ tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Butter to grease
- Maple syrup, salted butter and icing sugar to serve
- Whisk the egg yolk, half the sugar and vanilla together in a small bowl until pale and frothy. Add the milk, whisking until well combined, then sift in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate clean bowl, combine the egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric hand mixer to soft peaks (the tops should flop over when you lift out the beaters). Add the remaining sugar and continue beating to stiff, glossy peaks.
- Fold the yolk mixture into the meringue in 2 additions using a figure-of-eight motion until just combined – don’t overmix or you’ll knock out the air.
- Heat a large lidded non-stick pan over a medium heat. Very lightly grease the pan, then dollop in about ⅔ of the batter in 2 large mounds, spaced well apart (they’ll puff as they cook). Add 2 tsp water to the pan, then cover and reduce the heat to its lowest setting and cook for 4 minutes. Divide the remaining batter between the 2 pancakes, then cover again and cook for another 4 minutes. Gently flip the pancakes and cook for 4 minutes more. Serve straightaway, topped with butter, a dusting of icing sugar and maple syrup.
Don’t waste it: Save the egg yolk and add to creamy sauces or pastry to enrich them. Or mix with a little milk/water and use as an egg wash for pastry.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...