Spelt, chicory and mushroom one pot
- January 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This wintery vegan one-pot recipe combines earthy flavours of mushrooms, chicory and spelt with a sprinkling of coriander. It has so much going on and will soon become a firm weeknight favourite.
If you like the sound of this, you’ll love our vegan butternut squash and lentil one pot.
- Vegan recipes
- 19g (3g saturated)
- 43g (19g sugars)
- 3 tbsp light olive oil
- 600g mixed mushrooms (we used wild and chestnut)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g spelt or farro
- 750ml vegetable stock or water
- 3 heads chicory, roughly sliced into 4/5 chunks
- 70g dried cranberries or cherries
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Small bunch coriander (dill would also be nice if preferred), chopped
- 4-6 tbsp tahini (we like Belazu)
- Heat half the oil in a wide heavy-based pan (with a lid) over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes, stirring often, until lightly golden. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, turn down the heat to medium, add the onions, cover with the lid and cook for 6 minutes, stirring now
and again to prevent them burning.
- Add the garlic, cook for another minute, then stir in the spelt. Turn the heat to medium-high, then add the stock a ladleful at a time, only adding more when the previous ladleful has been absorbed. Keep adding the stock until the spelt is cooked through and tender (you might not need all the stock).
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to high. Grill the chicory for 5 minutes until lightly charred around the edges, then add them to the spelt with the mushrooms and cranberries, then stir until warmed through. Add the lemon juice and coriander, and season to taste. Drizzle with tahini to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...