Spiced parsnip and apple soup
- December 2013
- Serves 2 generously
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 1 hour to cook
Parsnip and apple are a marriage made in heaven, especially when combined in this soup recipe. A great festive starter or winter lunch.
Or, if you’re after something creamier and more decadent, then see this truffled parsnip soup.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.5g (4g saturated)
- 14g carbs (7.5g sugars)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp green cardamom seeds (from 3-4 pods)
- 20g butter
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 350g young parsnips
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 75g peeled and chopped bramley apple (about ½ medium-size apple)
- 600ml fresh vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp chopped chives to garnish
- Heat a small, dry frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the cumin, coriander and cardamom seeds and shake them around for a few seconds until they toast and darken slightly. Tip into a spice grinder or pestle and mortar (or a coffee grinder used only for spices) and grind to a fine powder.
- Heat the butter and oil in a medium-size pan. Add the onion, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft and lightly golden. Meanwhile, peel the parsnips and cut them into 2.5cm pieces.
- Uncover the pan, add the garlic, grated ginger and all the spices, then cook for 1 minute more. Add the parsnips, chopped apple and stock, then bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the parsnips are really tender when you test them with a knife.
- Remove soup from the heat and leave to cool slightly, then liquidise until smooth. Pour it through a sieve into a clean pan, using a wooden spoon to push it through. Season to taste.
- To serve, stir in the crème fraîche. Serve in warm bowls, garnished with a little more crème fraîche and chopped chives.
Make the soup up to the end of step 4, up to 3 days in advance, then cover and chill. Continue from step 5 to serve.
Freeze the cooled soup for up to 3 months in sealed plastic boxes. Continue from step 5 to serve.
Rate & review