Curried parsnip soup
- November 2017
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 30 min
If it’s a spicy parsnip soup you’re after, our curried parsnip soup is sure to deliver. This gently spiced soup recipe is made with cumin, coriander, turmeric and ginger. This really is a heart-warming bowl of goodness.
Or if you’d prefer your parsnip soup without a spicy hit, try our creamy roasted parsnip soup made with parmesan.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.5g (0.8g saturated)
- 17.4g (8.9g sugars)
- 750g parsnips (about 6-7), peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp chilli powder, plus a sprinkle
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.3 litres fresh vegetable stock
- Fresh coriander leaves to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Slice about 100g of the parsnips very thinly on a mandoline or using a sharp knife. Pat dry with kitchen paper, toss with 1 tbsp of the oil, the cumin and some salt and pepper, then spread out on a large baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden at the edges.
- Meanwhile, put the rest of the ground spices in a small frying pan and toast for 1-2 minutes over a medium heat until fragrant.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat and fry the onion for 7-8 minutes until softening. Meanwhile, chop the rest of the parsnips. Add the garlic to the onion pan and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the toasted spices and bay leaves and stir for a minute, then add the chopped parsnips and stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a medium heat and cook for 30 minutes until the parsnips are tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves, then whizz the soup using a stick blender (or in a blender with the cap removed and a folded tea towel held over to stop the hot soup exploding out) until smooth. Season to taste. Sprinkle with the parsnip crisps, extra chilli powder and a few coriander leaves to serve.
Next time, replace the spices by adding 1 tbsp of your favourite curry paste in step 3 and use ready-made veg crisps to save time.
The cooled soup (without crisps) will keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can store the parsnip crisps in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Classic soup recipes
Sometimes, all you need is a bowl of...
Freezable soup recipes
Make a big batch of warming soup using...
Use the winter root vegetable in one of...
From warming sweet potato to cooling cucumber –...
Healthy soup recipes
These healthy soup recipes are low in calories...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...