Spiced prawn and pea pilaf
- February 2014
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¾ tbsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 300g basmati rice
- 600ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 400g sustainably sourced frozen king prawns, fully defrosted
- Couple of handfuls of frozen peas
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded sauté pan. Fry the onion, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic, cook for another minute, then add the spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for a minute or two to toast, then add the stock, season well and bring to a simmer. Simmer for a minute, then put the lid on and turn down the heat as low as possible – you should just be able to hear it gently bubbling.
- Cook, without stirring, for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked with a little bite and the liquid has been absorbed. Add the prawns to the pan 3-4 minutes before the end of the cooking time, then add the peas for the last 2 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked and the prawns are completely pink, stir through the lemon juice, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Serve immediately – it’s great with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Five-spice slow-roast pork belly with pea and leek pilaf
This quick and easy five-spice slow-roast pork belly with pea and leek pilaf recipe is...