Beetroot and dill pilaf with hot-smoked trout
- September 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook
This vibrant smoked trout recipe with a beetroot and dill pilaf takes only five minutes to prepare.
- 5.9g (2.2g saturated)
- 59.7g (3.8g sugars)
- 4 small fresh beetroot, trimmed but not peeled
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 300g long grain rice
- 250g hot-smoked trout
- 2 tbsp soured cream, plus extra for serving
- Small bunch of fresh dill, torn
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Wrap each beetroot in foil and roast for 30 minutes until tender. Unwrap and, when cool enough to handle, peel (wearing clean rubber gloves), then grate 2 and cut the other 2 into wedges.
- Put a saucepan over a medium heat and toast the caraway seeds for 30 seconds, then remove from the pan and set aside. Pour a kettle of boiling water into the hot pan, season with salt and add the rice. Stir the rice once and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, break the trout into large flakes.
- Drain the rice well, then return it to the pan with the grated beetroot, toasted caraway seeds, soured cream and most of the dill. Mix well, then spoon into a bowl and gently fold in the sliced beetroot, trout and the remaining dill. Serve with a rocket salad, if you like, and an extra dollop of soured cream.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Steamed trout with vegetables poached in white wine
Chef Adam Byatt shares a beautiful trout recipe poached in white wine with dill, star...
Grilled trout, bacon and almond salad
A quick and easy grilled trout recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes.