Spicy aubergines with pork chops & chimichurri sauce
- July 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 20-25 min
Griddled pork goes head-to-head with smoky aubergine in this simple summery recipe.
- 30.5g (5.5g saturated)
- 3.4g (2.7g sugars)
- 2 large aubergines
- 1-2 tsp chipotle paste (depending on how spicy-hot you like your food)
- 75ml olive oil, plus a little extra for mixing
- 4 free-range pork chops
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Large handful fresh parsley
- A few fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Slice the aubergines lengthways. Mix the chipotle paste with a little olive oil, then use to brush over the aubergines. Put in a roasting tin, season, then roast, turning once, for 20-25 minutes until the aubergines are soft.
- After 10 minutes, heat an ovenproof griddle pan until smoking. Rub the pork chops with olive oil, then griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side then, holding with a pair of tongs, sear them briefly on the edge of the fat. Transfer the chops to the oven, then cook for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside to rest, covered loosely with foil.
- For the chimichurri sauce, gently warm the 75ml olive oil in a pan, add the crushed garlic cloves, then take off the heat. Chop the parsley and oregano, then add to the oil with the red wine vinegar. Finely grate in the zest from the lemon and stir in the chilli flakes. Halve the lemon, squeeze over the aubergines and chops, then serve with the chimichurri sauce.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
April seasonal recipes
Pork chops with spelt, wild garlic and purple sprouting broccolli
This quick and easy pork recipe celebrates some of spring’s most prized ingredients – wild...
Pork chops with spiced baked beans
Try this high-protein dinner recipe of pan-fried pork chops served with spicy beans made with...