Butternut squash and sage macaroni
- April 2017
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 30 min
A spin-on-a-classic, this vegan version of mac and cheese is one of Katy Beskow’s most popular online recipes. She re-created the creamy classic so that it’s on the table and ready to eat in 30 minutes.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.1g (0.7g saturated)
- 67.1g (11.6g sugars)
See Wine Match
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small, even pieces
- 200g egg-free dried macaroni
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 350ml vegetable stock, hot
- Small handful fresh basil to serve
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the squash to the water and cook over a medium heat for 10-11 minutes until very soft, then drain.
- Meanwhile, put the macaroni in a separate saucepan and pour over boiling water to cover. Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes (or according to the packet instructions) until al dente. Drain and keep warm in a serving dish.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Sprinkle over the sage, then cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Spoon the onion, garlic and sage mixture into a blender or food processor, along with the butternut squash (or use a bowl and stick blender). Pour in the vegetable stock and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour the smooth sauce over the macaroni and stir together thoroughly. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Recipe from Katy Beskow’s book 15 Minute Vegan (£8, Amazon).
Use any other pasta shape you like, or bake in the oven for a pasta bake.
Make the sauce a few hours in advance, then warm over a gentle heat and cook the macaroni as in the recipe.
What's the perfect wine match?
Our friends at Majestic Wine recommend Definition chenin Blanc. Crisp and elegant, this has aromatic ripe apple and pear flavours. With refreshing acidity, it’ll lift this creamy dish, and the time spent in oak will also prevent its flavours getting lost.
Use promo code DELICIOUS to get £10 off your order when you spend £40 or more.£12.99 | Buy Now See all Chenin Blanc
Rate & review