Spicy pork meatball pittas with harissa mayo and sweet potatoes
- March 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook, plus chilling
These spicy pork meatballs in pittas are perfect finger food and they can also be frozen.
- 68.8g (14.6g saturated)
- 96.4g (15g sugar)
- 700g (about 2 large) sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Knob fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 lemongrass stalk, outer leaves discarded, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 tsp harissa
- 400g pork sausages, skinned
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 175g fresh mayonnaise
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 white pitta breads, warmed
- 100g rocket
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Cook the sweet potato in a large pan of salted boiling water for 4 minutes, then drain well. Toss in 2 tbsp of the oil, put in a baking tray, season and roast for 20 minutes, turning now and then, until golden.
- In a big pan, fry the onion in 1 tbsp oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the ginger, lemongrass, garlic and 2 tsp harissa. Fry for 2-3 minutes; season, cool and put in a bowl. Add the sausagemeat, coriander, breadcrumbs and egg yolk. Season, shape into 16 small balls and chill for 10 minutes. Drizzle in a little oil, then bake in a roasting tray for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. (Shake the tin occasionally to cook evenly.) Remove, set aside and keep warm.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the rest of the harissa and the lemon juice.
- Split the pittas in half, put a handful of rocket and a few meatballs in each, then a dollop of harissa mayo. Serve with the sweet potato wedges.
Open-freeze the raw meatballs on a tray until solid. Transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost before continuing with the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken pasta recipes
Spaghetti and chicken meatballs in red pepper sauce
These tasty chicken meatballs with spaghetti and red pepper sauce take just 30 minutes to...