Spicy stuffed butternut squash
- October 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
This spicy stuffed butternut squash recipe works brilliantly as a simple vegetarian main course.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 16.4g (5.9g saturated)
- 34g (17.7g sugar)
- 2 butternut squash, halved lengthways and deseeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 300g bag baby spinach
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 100g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Cut off the long halves of each squash and put the round halves on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the remaining squash and cut into cubes. Heat the remaining oil and fry the cubed squash with the chilli for 5-10 minutes, until tender. Stir in the spinach until wilted and season well.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, cheese and pumpkin seeds. Remove the squash from the oven and preheat the grill to medium. Fill the squash with the spinach mixture and grill for 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Instead of stuffing the squash, peel and cube it, then pan-fry as in the recipe. Stir in the spinach, lemon juice, goat’s cheese and pumpkin seeds and stir through cooked pasta.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes using chickpeas
Warm squash, chorizo and chickpea salad with caramelised onions
Roasted squash pairs perfectly with chorizo and chickpeas in this warming winter salad recipe.