Spicy sweetcorn soup with toasted corn and crispy pancetta
- September 2014
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½-1 tsp chilli flakes (depending on taste)
- 4 new potatoes (about 200g)
- 450g sweetcorn kernels
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- 75g pancetta slices
- Cream, to serve (optional)
- Chop the onion and crush the garlic cloves. Fry both in a large saucepan with the olive oil for 10 minutes or until just softened. Stir through the chilli flakes and a pinch of salt, then fry for 1 minute.
- Chop the new potatoes, then add to the pan with the sweetcorn kernels and bay leaves. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the veg are soft.
- Meanwhile, chop and fry the pancetta until crisp. Remove to kitchen paper to soak up excess fat. Add an extra handful of sweetcorn kernels to the frying pan and toast until tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool a little, then whizz with a stick blender until smooth. Season to taste, then ladle into bowls. Scatter with the crispy pancetta, toasted corn, extra chilli flakes and a drizzle of cream, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted sweetcorn soup with curry-spiced butter
Debbie Major uses curry butter to spice up this roasted sweetcorn soup recipe.
Bacon, potato and sweetcorn soup
This creamy bacon, potato and sweetcorn soup is so packed with flavour that it could...