- May 2015
- Serves 4 generously (makes 1.5 litres)
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 20 min
Georgina Fuggle’s lettuce soup recipe is simple, fresh and great for a summer lunch. Make it more glamorous with a swirl of cream and a side dish of bruschetta.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 11.8g (6.6g saturated)
- 16.2g (6.2g sugars)
- 1 round lettuce (about 350g)
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 3 shallots, finely sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 400g frozen petits pois
- 1.5 litres hot fresh vegetable stock
- Small bunch fresh mint, leaves picked
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- Warm buttered bread
- Separate the lettuce leaves and wash thoroughly to remove any clinging grit. Melt the butter in a large, deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and gently fry, turning the heat down if necessary (you don’t want them to brown).
- When the shallots are tender, chop the lettuce up a bit and stir it into the butter. When the lettuce has wilted, add the peas, stock and mint leaves and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down, season with salt, sugar and ground black pepper, then simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and blend the soup using a stick blender. Reheat gently, taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve the soup in big bowls. It’s best eaten straightaway, with warm buttered bread.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lettuce risotto with spring onion, lemon and goat’s cheese
This quick risotto recipe is all about the fresh spring flavours of the lettuce and...
Crisp lettuce hearts with a hot bacon, maple syrup and garlic dressing
Simple but oh so tasty. This romaine lettuce and bacon salad recipe, with a maple...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...