Sticky glazed balsamic onions with sausages
- May 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 1 hour
The sweetest caramelised onions come to those who wait – be patient when making this sausage and onion casserole and the results will be worth it. We love the addition of balsamic vinegar. Serve with buttery mash for a hearty dinner.
Balsamic vinegar is a really versatile ingredient – test it out in this healthy dinner featuring sausages, puy lentils and veggies.
- 31.5g (11.4g saturated)
- 11.9g (9.8g sugars)
- Glug olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 4 banana shallots, quartered
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 8 good quality pork sausages
- 150ml fresh chicken or vegetable stock
- 150ml white or red wine
- Heat a glug of oil and a knob of butter in a large sauté pan or shallow flameproof casserole and cook the onions over a low-medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar, then stir and cook for 10 minutes more until the onions are sticky and caramelised.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to medium-high, put the sausages in a grill pan and cook for around 10-15 minutes, turning, until browned all over.
- Add the browned sausages to the pan of caramelised onions,then turn to coat in the sticky onions. Pour in the stock and wine, then bubble for 10-15 minutes to form a syrupy gravy. Serve with mash and any buttered green veg you fancy.
It takes time for onions’ pungent compounds to break down and mellow and for the sugars to caramelise. You’ll need to cook onions for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour. Slice to 5mm thick, then cook over a low-medium heat with enough oil or fat to keep them moist, stirring every so often. Don’t try to speed up the process by turning up the heat as the onions will burn – adding a little sugar and vinegar will help. Properly and slowly caramelised, they should be a rich, deep brown yet not mushy.
Caramelise the onions up to 12 hours ahead. Allow to cool, then leave covered in the fridge. Warm through while you grill the sausages.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter