Sticky onion tartlets
- February 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
These rustic savoury tarts use minimal ingredients, are a cinch to make and take minutes to put together. A great vegetarian lunch, supper or starter.
- Vegetarian recipes
- Plain flour for dusting
- 250g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 tbsp caramelised onion chutney
- 2 medium free-range eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 80ml double cream
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 75g blue cheese, such as Blacksticks Blue, crumbled
- Small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- Small handful of roasted chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat a baking sheet at 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Unroll the pastry on a floured surface and cut into 2 pieces large enough to fit into 2 x 12cm loose-bottomed tartlet tins. Line the tins with the pastry. (Trim the edges and discard the trimmings if you want neater tarts, like those on the cover.) Spread the chutney thinly over the bases.
- Mix 1 whole egg with the egg yolks, then stir in the cream, mustard and seasoning. Pour into the tartlet cases, then top with the cheese, thyme and hazelnuts. Whisk the remaining egg and use to glaze the exposed pastry.
- Cook on the preheated baking sheet for 18 minutes until golden and set. (Cover with foil if it browns too quickly.) Carefully turn out and serve with a green salad.
Rate & review