- July 2017
- Serves 2 as a starter or light lunch
- Hands-on time 10 min
Fresh parsley and lemon add extra zing to flavoursome chicken stock to produce a simple Italian soup, ready in only 10 minutes. We guarantee you’ll make this easy lunch or starter time and again.
- 13.4g (6.6g saturated)
- 1.2g (0.6g sugars)
- 500ml good quality chicken stock (ideally homemade)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely sliced
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped, a few stalks reserved
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- 50g parmesan, grated into strands on a box grater, plus extra to serve
- Put the chicken stock,garlic and a few parsley stalks in a saucepan and gently warm for 5 minutes. Turn up the heat and bring up to the boil.
- Season the beaten eggs with black pepper and a pinch of salt, then pour into the soup and allow to set for 30 seconds. Stir the egg to create thin, pasta-like strands.
- Take off the heat and add the lemon zest and juice, most of the parmesan and most of the parsley leaves. Season, then serve scattered with extra parmesan and the remaining parsley leaves.
This recipe is easy to double up to serve 4.
Next time, try adding a handful of fresh breadcrumbs or semolina to the soup in step 3.
Rate & review