Stuffing-filled roasted red onions
- December 2009
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook, plus cooling
This recipe for stuffed onions is a brilliant side to a roast dinner. It’s deceptively simple, and only takes 15 minutes to prepare.
For another killer side to a roast, try these delectable bay-scented smashed potatoes.
- 11.5g (3.5 saturated)
- 11.4g (5.5g sugar)
- 16 small red onions, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 16 heaped tbsp
- Sausagemeat stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Slice the top off the onions, 1-2cm down, and discard. Place in a roasting tin, drizzle with the oil and roast for 20 minutes until tender. Leave until cool enough to handle.
- Take each onion and push the centre out from underneath so they look like little hollow balls – you can chop the removed insides and add to the sausagemeat stuffing, if you like.
- Fill the onions with sausagemeat stuffing and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until the filling is cooked.
These stuffed red onions are best served at Christmas lunch with the sausages wrapped in bacon with rosemary (pictured).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead Christmas sides
Crispy prosciutto cups with sausage and sage stuffing
These prosciutto cups take stuffing to the next level – serve them as part of...