Summer berry puddings with vanilla fromage frais
- August 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus chilling
Berries must have been created with a summer pudding in mind. Make this easy recipe in just half an hour, then chill overnight.
- 1.8g (0.4g saturated)
- 61.2g (36.2g sugars)
- 100g caster sugar, plus 1 tsp extra
- Pared zest of ½ small lemon
- 225g raspberries
- 150g redcurrants, stalks removed, plus extra to decorate (optional)
- 75g blackcurrants, stalks removed
- 12 x 20g slices low-calorie white bread (we used Nimble)
- 5cm piece vanilla pod
- 100g fat-free fromage frais
- Put the sugar, 75ml water and the zest into a pan and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes and discard the zest.
- Put the syrup into a blender with 50g raspberries and blend until smooth. Push through a sieve to get rid of the seeds. Add the redcurrants and blackcurrants to the syrup in the pan and simmer for 1-2 minutes, until just beginning to soften. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining raspberries and raspberry sauce. Tip the fruit into a sieve over a bowl to collect the syrup.
- Remove the crusts from 8 slices of bread and cut each into 2 rectangles. Cut 4 discs from the remaining slices to the size of one of the upturned dishes you will use for the puddings.
- Dip 1 side of each bread rectangle briefly in the syrup and use 4 pieces to line the base and sides of a 200ml dome-shaped teacup or dessert dish, overlapping if necessary so there are no gaps. Repeat to line 3 more cups.
- Spoon the fruit into each dish and spoon over another teaspoon of the syrup. Dip 1 side of each bread disc into the syrup and use to cover each pudding (syrup side up). Lay a sheet of cling film over each one, cover with saucers or ramekins and weigh down with a can. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight, along with the remaining syrup.
- Shortly before serving, split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds with the tip of a teaspoon. Mix the seeds into the fromage frais, along with the extra sugar. Carefully run a knife around the edge of each pudding and turn out onto plates. Spoon over the remaining syrup, decorate with extra redcurrants, if you like, and serve with the vanilla fromage frais.
Rate & review