Summer pudding trifles
- January 2006
- 175g redcurrants, stalks removed, plus 6 strings to decorate
- 75g blackcurrants, stalks removed
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g raspberries
- 100g strawberries, hulled and cut into small pieces
- 6 trifle sponges
- 150ml ready-made vanilla custard
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- Put all the currants, sugar and 2 tablespoons water into a small pan and cook gently for 2-3 minutes until the fruit is just soft. Cool.
- Put the raspberries into a bowl and lightly crush with a fork. Stir in the currants and strawberries. Scoop out 6 tablespoons of the berry juice and set aside.
- Cut each trifle sponge into 3 thin slices. Put 1 slice each in 6 tall glasses and divide half the fruit mixture between the glasses. Cover each with another layer of sponge and the remaining fruit. Cover with the rest of the trifle sponge and spoon over the reserved berry juice.
- Pour a little custard into each glass and top with a spoonful of crème fraîche. Chill for 1 hour. Serve decorated with redcurrants.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
If you’re a bit over making Eton Mess and pavlovas for summer garden parties, then...
Individual summer puddings
Bright pink and full of molten fruit – Stick a dollop of cream next to...