Summer fruit and rose pavlova
- July 2012
- Serves 14
- Takes 20 mins to make, 2 hours 35 mins to cook, plus cooling
A classic combination of meringue, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries go into this pavlova recipe. It’s made extra-special with a few drops of fragrant rosewater. Perfect for a dinner party dessert in the summer.
- 13.4g (8.4g saturated)
- 28.6g (28.4g sugars)
- 6 large free-range egg whites
- 300g caster sugar, plus 2-3 tbsp for the syrup
- 2 tsp rosewater
- 7-8 sprigs of fresh lemon verbena or the zest of 1 lemon
- 150ml sweet dessert wine such as Sauternes
- 150g raspberries
- 350ml double cream
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar
- 150g blueberries
- 150g small strawberries, halved
- Preheat the oven to 120°C/fan100°C/gas ½. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper and draw a 23cm circle in the centre.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks, then gradually pour in the caster sugar – a little at a time – whisking constantly. Once all the sugar is added, whisk for a further 5 minutes until the mixture is glossy, then stir in the rosewater.
- Spoon the meringue onto the baking paper, piling it up inside the circle, and make an indentation in the centre with the back of a spoon. Bake for 2 hours 30 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the meringue inside until cold.
- In a small pan, heat the extra caster sugar, lemon verbena and dessert wine until the sugar is melted. Add a couple of raspberries and crush them into the syrup to add colour. Pass through a sieve (discard the pulp), then allow to cool.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, then beat in the icing sugar. Pile the cream into the centre of the meringue, then scatter over the blueberries, strawberries and remaining raspberries. Drizzle with the syrup, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...